History of the Parishes
​
The Parishes of Saint Francis of Assisi, Nailsea and Saint Joseph's, Portishead.
Clifton Diocese consists of the city of Bristol and the counties of Somerset, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire. The first Bishop of the diocese when it was restored in 1850 was Joseph Hendren OFM. He was responsible for the completion of the Pro-Cathedral and the purchasing of The Catholic cemetery at Arnos Vale. Our present Bishop is Bishop Bosco MacDonald.
Both Nailsea and Portishead share the fact that they were both originally served by the Franciscans. Portishead was served by The Conventual Franciscans (Sometimes called the Greyfriars) and Nailsea was served by The Friars Minor from Clevedon. This all came to be when religious orders were being driven out of France. The Friars Minor were also in the city of Bristol at Saint Bonaventure’s until the parish passed to the diocese in 1981. Clevedon remains a Franciscan parish and friary, but with a much-reduced community. Apparently, there were 37 friars in Clevedon in its early days.
The Franciscan Order came to England in Saint Francis’ own lifetime, arriving in Dover in 1224 led by Blessed Agnellus of Pisa. The reformation saw communities broken up. The 3 principal groups of Franciscan men are The Friars Minor (Observants) who came to Clevedon, The Friars Minor Conventual who came to Portishead and the Capuchins who were founded some three hundred years later. Before the reformation there was a conventual friary in Lewins mead in Bristol. Famous Franciscans include Saint Anthony of Padua, Saint Bonaventure, Blessed John Duns Scotus, Saint Maximilian Kolbe and Saint Padre Pio.
The female branch of The Franciscan Order is the Poor Clares, their most famous being Saint Clare herself and Saint Colette, The Poor Clares live a life of enclosure. For many years they were in the Clifton Diocese at Woodchester near Stroud.
In 1881, a community of Observant Franciscans expelled from France were given refuge by Bishop Clifford in the empty Dominican convent premises in Park Place, Bristol, adjacent to the old pro cathedral. In return the friars assisted in helping with the local missions. One such work was to travel each Sunday to Sharpness to offer Mass there in the little chapel of Our Lady Star of the Sea which had been built at the expense of Mrs Mary Clifford. Mrs Clifford offered to build a house for the friars if they would serve the mission permanently, but they declined on the grounds that they were already planning to start a mission in Portishead. It was here, at West Hill, in two houses named Claremont and Belle Vue that the Portishead mission was founded in 1883. Simultaneously, other friars were building up a friary and parish in Clevedon, under the leadership of Fr. Celestine Mary Sant O.F.M.
​
Bishop Clifford blessed the new Portishead friary on Sunday December 2nd, 1883. In his diaries the bishop recalls that the chapel was full for the occasions. Most in attendance were Protestant as there were only eight known Catholics in the town at the time. The following day the bishop confirmed two parishioners. Some idea of the rapid growth of the parish may be gained from the news that when the bishop visited saint Joseph’s again in 1886, he confirmed 30 converts.
​
The present church of Saint Joseph was dedicated by Bishop Clifford on March 19, 1887. The foundation stone was laid by the Franciscan Provincial, Fr. Chrysostom O.F.M. The architect was Canon Scholes. Shortly afterward in 1888, the friars withdrew to Clevedon, where they had already established a large friary. However, they continued to serve the parish until 1906, and a Friar walked from Clevedon to say Mass having fasted from the night before! {It is a notable aside that in these early years two canonised Saints were in the Clevedon Community – Theodric Balat and Andre Bauer. Both volunteered for the China Mission and were killed during the Boxer rebellion in 1900} For about a year Fr. (later Bishop) William Lee served the Portishead from the bishop’s residence at Leigh Woods. In 1907 the Conventual Franciscan friars came to Portishead and on June 16 of that year they were formally welcomed by Bishop Burton. This was the first friary of the Conventual Franciscans in Britain since the reformation. Frs. Roger Azzopardi OFM Conv. (1910) Bonaventure Scaeberras OFM Conv, and Vincent Meyer OFM Conv. Were the pioneers who reestablished The British Province.
​
In 1906 the sisters of the Congregation of La Sante Union des Sacre Coeur founded their school in Rose hill, close to Saint Joseph’s. For many decades this served as a fine Catholic primary school. The town’s Catholic school is now on The Bristol Road and the former school and convent have been sold.
In March 1910 Father Roger Azzopardi O.F.M., Conv. arrived from Malta to help in Portishead. Soon after, he was asked to take on responsibility for the Mission of Saint Bernard’s in Shirehampton
The house named Kenfield Adjoining the church was purchased in 1936 and became the friary. In 1938 a Mass centre was established in the grounds of Ham Green Isolation Hospital and in 1956 a site for a chapel was purchased in Springfield Road, just off the main Bristol Road. Until the chapel was completed Mass was celebrated in Pill Memorial club in the village. Bishop Rudderham blessed the new chapel dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua on November 10th, 1959. The chapel lasted until it was sold off 1986 due to falling numbers.
​
During the interwar years marble altar rails were added along with an organ from America. In 1953-54 Saint Joseph’s church was upgraded and the sanctuary area reordered by architects Whitmarsh-Everiss & Smithies of Bristol. External sacristies were also built at this time.
In recent years the gallery has been extended to allow for more seating and the narthex has been greatly improved. A new confessional is a welcome addition. The Friary no longer exists and there is a bungalow presbytery opposite the Church which is let out. The Parish Priest lives in Nailsea. The grounds are neatly landscaped and provide a fine view of the Severn Estuary. There is a small car park at the rear of the church.
The Franciscans eventually withdrew from Portishead in 1985, the last friar being Fr. James Scott O.F.M., Conv. The new diocesan parish priest was Fr. (later Canon) William O’Callaghan. Statues of Saint Francis and Saint Anthony remain in the church reminding people of the Franciscan heritage of the parish. Somewhat unusually, both saints are depicted in grey habits, as is the habit of the Conventual Franciscans who ministered there.
Franciscan Priests from Clevedon had served the village of Nailsea since the 1930s.In the early days Mass was celebrated at the Butchers Arms and also at some stage in The Sawyers and The Royal Oak. The first two parishioners were Mr. Whittard and his housekeeper who lived at Backwell. The first Priest to look after Nailsea and the surrounding Villages was Fr. Gregory Ferenbach O.F.M. (The friars also started a Mass centre in Yatton at around the same time) In 1954 a temporary chapel was erected dedicated to Saint Francis, at a cost of £821 under the leadership of Fr. Pacificus O.F.M. The temporary building was to be in use for around 30 years. During these years the people worked very hard with fundraising.
Parishioners raised money to buy shale for a much-needed carpark and a group of men from the parish worked on that project.
Among the regular Priests saying Mass in those years were Fr. Ferdinand Ford O.F.M. who would travel on a bike fitted with a small motor. Other
Priests would have included Fr. Cornelius Smith O.F.M. who learned to drive when the friars were allowed cars from 1966 onwards. Fr. Anthony Rickards O.F.M., and Fr. Phelan O’Leary O.F.M. who joined others in the physical work of keeping the hut in good order. Fr. Lucian Hunt O.F.M. and Fr. Dunstan Baker O.F.M. helped with catechism for the children.
Plans for a school gathered pace when Fr. Herbert Derbyshire O.F.M. was made the Guardian of Clevedon Friary. The original plan was to have a school in Clevedon and a site was earmarked, but in the end the decision was made to build in Nailsea. Sadly, Fr. Herbert left Clevedon having developed cancer and died aged 49. He was succeeded by Fr. Reginald Clancy O.F.M.
Saint Francis’ Primary School was built in 1979 and Mass was then said in the school hall. 1985 saw the building of the new Church. In 2000 the old Wooden chapel (Sometimes called “The Hut” was demolished.
​
Between 1958 and 1968 The Claretian Order had its novitiate at Backwell Hill House. A chapel was built to accommodate 100, but sadly neither vocations or a congregation ever materialised.
Nailsea grew at a great pace, so that in 1982 it became a parish. A new Catholic school was built in Station Road and a new church was opened and dedicated on February 2nd, 1986, by Bishop Mervyn Alexander. The church was built by Stone and co and the architects were John Webster of Holford Associates. In 2000 a matching hall was built alongside the church and presbytery. The first Parish Priest was Monsignor Gabriel Leydon in 1982, followed by Fr. Graham Gillman in 1987.
The last Franciscan to care for Nailsea was Fr. Julian Kennedy O.F.M. and the first diocesan Parish Priest was Monsignor Gabriel Leyden. Fr. Julian died in Clevedon some years later and is buried in the main cemetery in Portishead.
​
We are delighted to have Canon Richard Dwyer from Portishead as a Priest of Clifton Diocese. Richard was ordained in Portishead on July 5th, 1980. Peter Rose was Ordained as a Permanent Deacon in October 1998 and died in August 2012.
​
For more information on St Francis - click here
​
For more information on St Joseph's - click here